Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Refilling the Well

Most days, the words come easily and I can come up with great ideas for things to write about. That's what I'm supposed to do, after all.

But after a while, I start to feel "dried up". The ideas just aren't there. I start to censor myself, erasing every other sentence before I even hit "publish".

That's when I start to think it might be a good idea to take a break from rushing and writing. I don't force myself to write anything, and I spend time with the beads and my ideas for beading. I read books, I turn up the music and dance, I walk, and yes, I play computer games to give my brain some "down time".


This was the result of some of that "down time" for my brain. I worked up one of my favorite right-angle weave "v" neckpieces, then proceeded to bezel four Swarovski rivolis and a Swarovski stone. I connected them with two pieces of tubular herringbone, then attached the whole mess to the right-angle weave and added some of those cool Czech spikes that I got in Tucson.

I discovered that I had made the neckpiece way too long, so I got to rip out about 12 rows from each side. (Yay!) The result was a slimmer fit that works perfectly with the contours of my neck.

I still sort of feel like I need to add something to the rest of the neckpiece. I'm just not sure what.

There are other little projects that I'll do while I'm in the Idea Waiting Room this week. I just got some Crystal Clay (which will be good for at least two product reviews plus some fun new projects), some African brass beads and some Vintaj patinas. I've never used any of these things before, so it will be a good way to play and give me something else to think about.

On that note, I'm still trying to work out how I can squeeze in an hour or two of writing at night. I still feel like I work and write best at night, but just haven't figured out how to get back there.

1 comment:

Therese's Treasures said...

Very nice necklace I like the colors you chose and the spikes give it a tribal look. We all have to take a break once in a while to refill the well. Have fun playing with the new items. I have not used those either so I am looking forward to reading what you have to say about them.
Therese