Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's not pretty, but...

This is the piece that has taken over my life since yesterday morning. The beads are all courtesy of Auntie's Beads, and the piece is one that just sort of came to me as I was looking at the beads online. I just sort of wondered how I could stitch them so they would all fit together. Once I got that figured out, I had to figure out how to connect them so that they didn't flop around. And I think I've almost got that figured out! Then I just have to figure out how to attach the clasp, which I haven't decided on yet. It's a work in progress, but it's so much fun! The little netted connectors work up really quick, and I love the way they look with those red diamonds.

So, when I'm not obsessing over this piece, I am finishing up my new displays for the Lower Adirondack Regional Arts Council's June Art and Craft Festival this weekend. Tom constructed the panels for me out of foam core and L-brackets. Last night after Colden went to bed, I covered them with a layer of thick bunting fabric, and then today I will finish covering them with a bright turquoise fabric. They will be attached to my table using c-clamps and alligator clamps, and the necklaces and bracelets will be pinned right to the foam core through the fabric. For earrings, I am going to tie either end of a piece of fishing line to two jewelry pins, add a drop of glue so that it doesn't slip, and then fasten the pins into the backside of the board. They'll also allow me to stick little notes about each one right on the board, and I think I will also add a few little accents to the table, like a vase with a few eucalyptus branches or some silk flowers.

My little man was "helping" me when I tried to cover the boards yesterday morning, so that's why I waited until he was asleep! He was so pleased with himself!









And, of course, I've been posting all over Facebook about the show that inspired these new display panels! The Lower Adirondack Regional Arts Council is having their June Art & Craft Fair this Saturday and Sunday, from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m., at Glens Falls City Park in Glens Falls, N.Y. I've heard from a couple of people that the city has recently made some great improvements to the park, and I'm very much looking forward to selling my work at the fair! The weather right now is calling for a 20% chance of rain with highs in the low 70s, so as long as the rain stays away, it is shaping up to be a beautiful weekend.

So that's all for now! I've got a million things to finish up today, so I need to get off the computer and get back to work!

No comments: