Thursday, July 21, 2011

Vent

Maybe it's the heat. Maybe it's the heat and the fact that the air conditioner fell out of the window yesterday and cracked into two pieces in the side yard. Maybe it's the fact that Lake Placid (and Jay and Wilmington) have been overrun by the amazingly physically fit who will be competing in Sunday's Ironman triathlon.

This year, it seems like the bicyclists who are training along the race route are either dumber or more arrogant than they've ever been. And it seems to really be getting to the locals. There are have been complaints by local town supervisors about gaggles of bicyclists hanging out in the middle of the road at major intersections. I have seen them riding four and five across the road, which is not only illegal, it's stupid. And this morning, I saw the bicyclist to take the cake. This guy was riding down the hill in front of our house which is a two-lane road and a major route between Plattsburgh, Vermont, Montreal and Lake Placid. But he was riding down in the middle of the lane, with four cars puttering along behind him. Really. Way to take yourself out of the gene pool, man.

I don't understand why people get so hyped up over Ironman. I know it's only once a year, but it seems to be inconvenient for way longer than that. We locals have to deal with the arrogant bicyclists who don't follow the rules of the road for way longer than just one day. Not that every bicyclist is arrogant, but these folks either don't know or don't care about safe cycling when it comes to riding your bike on narrow, rural roads that aren't always in the best of shape. I worry when Tom takes the motorcycle to and from work, because the bicyclists seem particularly aggressive towards bikers. Not cool.

That said, I'm sitting in Starbucks this morning, trying to get motivated and stay cool because I know that if I go home, I'll just sit there and sweat and not be very productive at all. But this place is packed. I can't remember the last time I saw so many people in here. (This is definitely way busier than I've ever seen it in the winter, even during the holidays.) I might just grab my smoothie and head home for some peace and quiet. It'll be hot, but at least I'll have a cool drink.

No comments: