Sunday, November 30, 2008

New Handpainted Pendants Available on my Etsy Shop!

For the last few months, I've been tossing this idea around in my head about taking a bunch of fused glass pendants and painting them with lovely little nature scenes. (My first problem was that I can't paint, but I'm reasonably happy with the results!)

I got these wonderful acrylic enamel paints way back when I first sprung for all my glass fusing supplies, and they basically sat there, untouched, until last fall when I finally started feeling up to working with the glass again. I tried a few cuff bracelets with them, and they worked out pretty well, and then I decided to try my hand at painting a few pretty little scenes.

The photo on this one isn't very good, but you get the idea.













For this piece, I fused some white frit into the background to make it look like snow!













This is a much better photo of a painted pendant with a lone pine tree on a snowy landscape.













And then, just in case you were getting bored with the snow, I painted a few summery scenes. I love the way I can get texture from the paints by adding water or using them "dry", and because I am painting the top clear layer of glass, there are shadows underneath that give an unexpected depth to the whole piece.






I'll have more of these for sale as I finish them. The process to make them takes several steps in the kiln. First, I have to cut the pendant shapes from the glass and then full fuse them at 1550 dehrees Fahrenheit with a layer of clear on top for depth. After the pendants have cooled, I grind down any uneven edges and then firepolish them in the kiln again. Once the basic shape is perfect, I paint them with the enamels and allow the enamels to dry. Then it's once more back in the kiln, this time to a temperature of about 1350 degrees Fahrenheit to allow the enamels to cure and melt. Because the enamels are melted into the glass, the design is permanent and will not chip, fade or wear off. Once I'm happy with how everything looks, I will add the pendant finding, a length of satin cord or a fiber necklace, and put the little beauties out for sale!

As I'm gearing up for my last big show of the holiday season this coming weekend, I'll be working with some fusible paper in my designs this week. Once I get those done, I'll of course post some photos and some techniques here on the blog.

I've also been tossing around the idea of starting a jewelry makers guild up here in the Adirondacks, or at least revisiting the idea of starting up a bead society once again. (Tried that when I had the brick and mortar store, but I wasn't terribly motivated then, and I really am now!)

This weekend, I'll be at the Christmas in the Village celebration in Essex, N.Y. on Lake Champlain! I'll have lots of new work for sale at the Adirondack Art Association Gallery on Main Street in Essex on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, December 5, 6 and 7 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. each day. Let's hope the weather cooperates!

No comments: