Wednesday, April 08, 2009

What did I do today?

No, seriously, I'm trying to figure out what I did today...

It feels like I just woke up, but as I write this, it's almost 9:45 p.m.

We woke up at a reasonable time this morning - around 7 a.m. - and we went and had some breakfast while I checked my email and Colden practiced walking around the kitchen like Frankenstein with his arms high above his head. I called the Tractor Supply store in Plattsburgh to find out if the baby chickens had arrived, and they had! So my next call was to Sandy (at 8 a.m., I was hoping that I didn't wake her up!) to see what time they wanted to come give me and Colden a ride to Plattsburgh.

We bought a dozen baby chicks - so sweet! They had three aluminum tubs full of baby chicks, all under heat lamps. You could hear them as soon as you walked in the store. I also picked up a 50-lb bag of chick mash, which we probably won't finish, but it was either a 5-lb bag or a 50, so I went with the 50!

When we got home, Tom's dad, thankfully, hung out with Colden while I went out to the chicken coop and got the babies settled in the brooder that Tom had made for them. It was frustrating trying to keep the temperature at the right level - it was 102 under the light when I got in there, but as soon as I lifted it up even a fraction of an inch, the temperature dropped down to 80! In the end, we decided that it would be better if we left the temperature warmer right under the heat lamp, since there was plenty of room for the babies to walk away and cool off, and if they did get too cold, they could always huddle underneath the heat lamp for a while.

So, after I lugged up the 50-lb bag of chicken feed and finished with the new babies, I came inside and gave Colden a snack, caught up on my email, and then got Colden some lunch. I wasn't terribly hungry (still tasting the garlic knots from last night's dinner!), so I kept working on editing my photos while Colden ate and fed Moose.

After lunch, I continued working on re-sizing my photos. There has got to be a better way to re-size 260 photos without having to do each one individually!

When Colden finally conked out for his nap around 3:00 p.m., I picked up my latest beading project and kept working on it. I am trying to find a way to simulate the granulation of 14th century Jewish wedding rings with size 15 seed beads and 3.5mm bead caps. I think I've figured it out, but we shall see...

Tom got home around 3:30 and told me that his new motorcycle helmet had come in and that he was going up to Plattsburgh to pick it up. I didn't want to go because Colden was still asleep, and I didn't want to wake him up, and I still had 130 photos to re-size! Tom came home around 5 with his new helmet which, thankfully, fits him! By that time, it was getting to be time for dinner, so I reheated last night's leftover pizza (and garlic knots!) and fed Colden. Our friend Rob and his two stepkids came over for a visit after their trip to Delaware, and they were all excited to see the new baby chicks.

While I was eating dinner, I realized that I had left the baby seat in Sandy and Tom's van! I need it to go to Lake Placid tomorrow to do my errands, so it was back out in the cold (and snow) to their house to drop off half a dozen eggs and get the baby seat.

When I got home, I made out a new to-do list for the rest of the week and then got Colden into his pajamas, got into my pajamas, and finished editing the photographs. (Hooray!)

So, without further ado...

Coming exclusively to my ArtFire store sometime over the next few days, here is my latest line of fused glass jewelry:

I'm actually quite proud of these little lovelies! In fact, I think that's what I'm probably going to call them: my Little Lovelies!

Ah, yes, so you can tell that it's getting late and I need to go to sleep now. And I think it's time for Colden to go to sleep, too, so good night!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness. I had the same feeling today. Lilly was nap-resistant today so I felt like all I did today was try to get her to sleep. And I just finished putting her back down after a motrin dose. Good luck with the rest of your week!