Sunday, June 27, 2010

My Bead Soup Piece is FINALLY Done!


















It's finally done! My Bead Soup piece is complete! I had so much fun making this piece, mainly because I used that gorgeous Venetian glass focal and a gorgeous Venetian glass clasp that I normally wouldn't use.

From the wonderful helping of soup I received from Ann Rishell, I chose the Venetian glass focal and clasp, the strand of beautiful white freshwater pearls, and two of the different types of seed beads.

I have been reading a lot of books about the history of England lately, and the two that I finished while working on this piece were a biography of Elizabeth I and a critical examination of the events and circumstances that led to the downfall and execution of Elizabeth's mother, Anne Boelyn. Both were fascinating, and the whole time I was reading them, I was daydreaming about the clothes and jewelry that the English royals wore. That was when I took a good, long look at that Venetian glass focal and I thought how much it looked like a gem that wouldn't look out of place around the neck of a queen.















This is a closeup of this incredible sterling silver and glass clasp that was included in my soup. Now that I've used a clasp like this, I can see myself buying more of these to use in future designs! Oh, my!















Here's a not-so-good photo of what it looks like on a necklace bust. This piece was definitely a challenge for me. I didn't want the bare thread from the two double spiral ropes to rub up against the edges of the glass focal, so I had to figure out a way to get both ends into a set of tiny size 15 beads that I passed through the center of the focal bead. Finally, after quite a few pokes from my beading needles and a lot of swearing (!), I got it secured. And it looks marvelous!

I so enjoyed the whole bead soup swap party, I can't wait for the next round! I would definitely participate in this again, and I would really encourage anyone who is interested to sign up and give it a go. It was really a great way to stretch my creativity a bit and work outside my comfort zone with materials that I normally wouldn't choose. The best thing I took away from this experience is that now I feel like I've "discovered" a whole new set of materials that I enjoy working with.

And on that note, now that Colden is finally asleep and my indigestion from dinner has finally simmered down, I am going to try to get some rest!

13 comments:

elisabeth said...

Beautiful - I love the colors!

Unknown said...

THis is really quite beautiful! Really really very gorgeous! Your soup is just splendid!!

Jennifer Cameron said...

That turned out absolutely stunning and was definitely worth the wait! I too was a bit inspired by the royals, but more Victoria than Henry VIII timeframe.

Nancy said...

The piece is fabulous! Challenges really are fun...and push our creativity.

sibel said...

elegance...loves.

Courtney Breul said...

Really beautiful! I love both the focal and clasp, my dilemma would be which way to wear it! :)

Unknown said...

this piece is so elegant and so gorgeous. You did a wonderful job and I could see this being worn again and again.

Marie Cramp said...

stunning piece!

Pretty Things said...

That is so glamorous! Great job!

Michelle said...

Very classic...I really like the warm golden color.
Bead Happy!
Michelle

Kella said...

It certainly has a regal air about it.

Patti said...

Very, very pretty!

Nicki said...

This is indeed a queen's necklace. Very elegant design. Wonderful.